Federal Direct Loan
Federal Direct Loans are Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans that eligible students may borrow from the US Department of Education to help cover the cost of your education.
- The maximum amount per year of the Federal Direct loan is determined by your grade level, FAFSA dependency status, and if your parent is unable to obtain the PLUS Loan.
- Subsidized Federal Direct Loans do not accrue interest until repayment begins* (six months after you stop attending school or graduate).
- Repayment can be deferred until you stop attending school, graduate, or you can choose to make interest payments on Unsubsidized loans while attending TCU.
Fixed Interest Rates for Undergraduate Direct Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)
|First disbursed on or after July 1, 2019, and before July 1, 2020||4.53%|
|First disbursed on or after July 1, 2020, and before July 1, 2021||2.75%|
Loan Origination Fees for Undergraduate Direct Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)
|First disbursed on or after Oct. 1, 2019, and before Oct. 1, 2020||1.059%|
|First disbursed on or after Oct. 1, 2020, and before Oct. 1, 2021||1.059%|
Borrowers must complete the required Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN) online.
Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note Instructions
- Visit www.studentloans.gov
- Select Log In
- If you do not have an FSA ID, choose Create an FSA ID and follow the directions.
- If you have an FSA ID already, choose Log In.
- You are now on the welcome page; select Complete Loan Counseling.
- Next, select Entrance Counseling.
- Add Schools to Notify. Select Texas and Texas Christian University.
- Under Select Student Type, choose undergraduate or graduate.
- Continue session until complete (approximately 30 minutes).
- Return to the welcome page and select Complete a Master Promissory Note.
- On the next page, from the Select the type of Direct Loan you would like to receive, choose Subsidized/Unsubsidized.
- Complete MPN as instructed.
If you are a graduate student and plan to borrow a Direct Unsubsidized Loan and a Graduate PLUS Loan, you will need to complete both the Unsubsidized Direct Loan MPN and the PLUS MPN for Graduate/Professional Students.
Watch your TCU email account for important financial aid notifications.