Federal Parent Loan (PLUS)
The PLUS loan is available for the parents (natural or adoptive parent, any step-parent whose information is on the FAFSA) of dependent undergraduate students only. FAFSA is required, and the student must be enrolled in at least 6 hours.
- fixed interest rate of 7.00% (Interest accrues immediately; but repayment can be deferred until the student stops attending; parent borrower can request this repayment option during the online application)
- loan fee of 4.264% will be deducted from each disbursement
- maximum amount of the PLUS loan is TCU’s cost of attendance minus other financial aid
Not sure the PLUS Loan is the right choice? Click here to see other options:
Parent PLUS Loan process
Login to www.studentloans.gov
Use your FSA ID Username or E-mail Address and your FSA ID password (this is the username and ID you used for your student’s FAFSA). DO NOT sign in with the student’s username and password. The Parent PLUS Loan will not fund with the student showing as borrower.
As of May 10, 2015 you must have a verified FSA ID (Username & Password) instead of a PIN to log in to StudentLoans.gov.
If you have a verified FSA ID, log in to StudentLoans.gov.
For assistance, call:
What Can I Do When I Log In?
Select Apply for a PLUS Loan
- Apply for a PLUS Loan
- Complete PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- Complete PLUS Counseling
Plus Counseling can be completed at any time to help PLUS borrowers: Understand the costs and obligations that come with borrowing a PLUS Loan and make careful decisions about taking on student loan debt.
PLUS Counseling is required when the U.S. Department of Education has informed you that you must complete PLUS Counseling.
- Document Extenuating Circumstances
- Endorsers can Complete an Electronic Endorser Addendum
- Print Endorser Addendum
- Complete Financial Awareness Counseling
You can use this tool any time to learn financial basics. Financial Awareness Counseling provides tools and information to help you understand your financial aid and help you manage your finances. (Optional)
- Use the Repayment Estimator
Before you log out – IF you are a first time borrower for a PLUS Loan for your student at TCU, complete a Master Promissory Note.
What if my credit isn’t good enough and I am denied for a PLUS Loan?
- You may add an endorser (like a cosigner) to your PLUS Loan. An endorser is a credit-worthy person who will sign the loan with the parent borrower and take on equal liability for the PLUS Loan debt.
- You may appeal the denied decision with the US Department of Education.
- If you do not add an endorser, appeal or have an appeal approved, the student can be eligible for an additional $4000 ($5,000 Jr./Sr.) Direct/Stafford Unsubsidized Loan.
TCU Loan Team Contact: