Federal Parent Loan (PLUS)
The PLUS loan is available for the parents (natural or adoptive parent, any step-parent whose information is on the FAFSA) of dependent undergraduate students only. FAFSA is required, and the student must be enrolled in at least 6 hours.
- fixed interest rate of 7.6% (Interest accrues immediately, but repayment can be deferred until the student stops attending; parent borrower can request this repayment option during the online application)
- a loan fee of 4.248% will be deducted from each disbursement
- the maximum amount of the PLUS loan is TCU’s cost of attendance minus other financial aid
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
- Visit www.studentloans.gov * Select the Parent Borrowers tab
- Select Log In located in the upper right of page. * If you do not have an FSA ID, choose Create an FSA ID and follow the directions. * If you have an FSA ID already, choose Continue to Log In.
- You are now at the welcome page; select Apply for a PLUS Loan. * Next, select Complete PLUS Request for Parent under Direct PLUS Loan Request for Parent Borrowers.
- On the next page, Select an Award Year. * Answer each section. *Select Texas Christian University in the school section. *Enter the student information and submit.
- First-time Federal Parent PLUS borrowers must return to the Welcome page and select Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). * Next, from the Select the type of Direct Loan you would like to receive, choose Complete PLUS MPN for Parents under PLUS MPN for Parents. Completed MPNs are typically valid for 10 years.
DO NOT sign in with the student’s username and password. The Parent PLUS Loan will not fund with the student showing as the borrower.
For assistance, call:
Plus Counseling can be completed at any time to help PLUS borrowers: Understand the costs and obligations that come with borrowing a PLUS Loan and make careful decisions about taking on student loan debt.
PLUS Counseling is required when the U.S. Department of Education has informed you that you must complete PLUS Counseling.
- Complete PLUS Counseling
- Document Extenuating Circumstances
- Endorsers can Complete an Electronic Endorser Addendum
- Print Endorser Addendum
- Complete Financial Awareness Counseling
You can use this tool any time to learn financial basics. Financial Awareness Counseling provides tools and information to help you understand your financial aid and help you manage your finances. (Optional)
- Use the Repayment Estimator
Before you log out – IF you are a first-time borrower for a PLUS Loan for your student at TCU, make sure you have completed a Master Promissory Note (MPN).
What if my credit isn’t good enough and I am denied a PLUS Loan?
- You may add an endorser (like a cosigner) to your PLUS Loan. An endorser is a credit-worthy person who will sign the loan with the parent borrower and take on equal liability for the PLUS Loan debt.
- You may appeal the denied decision with the US Department of Education.
- If you do not add an endorser, appeal or have an appeal approved, the student can be eligible for an additional $4000 ($5,000 Jr./Sr.) Direct Unsubsidized Loan.
TCU Loan Team Contact: