College Access Loan (CAL) What to Expect
- Gather your information before you start. You’ll need your current address and phone number, your Social Security number, driver’s license number, employment information (for yourself and/ or your cosigner), and at least one personal reference (name and contact information).
- CAL Online Loan Application Guide
- Find a cosigner. Most applicants will need to apply with a cosigner to meet lender credit requirements.
- Apply online at http://www.hhloans.com/. Click on Apply for a Loan on the right side, and on the next screen select College Access Loan.
- Once you begin the loan application, the Application Disclosure will give you general information about your loan. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Have your cosigner fill out his or her portion online. The student will provide the cosigner with the following information;
- Cosigner Token: an 8-digit combination of numbers, letters, and symbols assigned to the completed online application.
- Student’s last name and date of birth.
- Throughout the application process, watch for emails from the lender (TX Higher Ed Coordinating Board) with instructions on “next steps” for your application. You can call them at 800-242-3062
- Complete the Applicant Self-Certification Form. This form can be completed online, utilizing e-signature. You can get the financial information needed to complete the form from http://my.tcu.edu/. Log in, then click on Financial Aid, Financial Aid Home, View My Financial Aid. Click the link labeled “Private Loan Self-Certification Info.” Click here for assistance in completing the Self-Certification form required by all lenders on private loan applications.
- Read your Approval Disclosure. You will receive it via U.S. mail. This disclosure gives information on specific loan terms that will not change for at least 30 days. You will have to “accept” these terms of the loan- usually you do this back on the lender’s website.
- You will also e-sign a promissory note while online.
- Once your lender has all of the paperwork they require, including the self-certification form, they should automatically contact TCU to verify that you need money to pay for tuition and other education-related expenses. TCU will provide this information back to the lender as quickly as possible, usually within 48 hours.
- Watch for the Final Disclosure which gives you information on how to cancel the loan and provides updated cost information.
- After a mandatory cancellation period of 6-10 days (required by law), the lender will send your loan funds to TCU, and they will be deposited into your TCU student account.
TCU Loan Team Contact: